1. Get to the core of their desires
It is common wisdom among sales professionals who focus on overseas Filipinos that the following are the main goals of Filipinos working abroad:
- Provide good education for their children
- Get a good house or a new and better house
- Invest in a business to run in their eventual return
- Buy a nice car
Bottomline, they are making the sacrifice of working abroad to create a better future for their families.
As a sales professional, empathizing with this allows you to better serve their needs and communicate the value of what you are selling.
2. Understand their financial situation and urgency of buying
This highlights the importance of talking to them over the phone (see #3 below). Financial situation is a sensitive topic. The ability to establish rapport and gain trust is key. Experienced sales pros invest in calling prospects abroad since this is the fastest way to move an overseas lead forward. To qualify the lead, some of their go to questions include:
- Years abroad
- Type of job
- Other recent investments / purchases
Sales leads we produce for some of our clients include indicators of financial capacity and urgency of buying. This allows initial qualification even before the first call.
As any sales pro would know, time is gold. You need to focus your time on prospects that fit your target market and have the possibility of buying soon.
On the other hand, if a qualified lead is not immediately closable, you don't want to waste the lead. It is just a simple matter of order and a bit of technology to maximize long-term leads (see #5 below).
3. Call them. Immediately.
Some sales professionals I have talked to have spent more than PhP60 per min (!) on calls abroad. They see this is as a worthwhile investment.
Statistical studies back their instinct:
- 35-50% of sales go to the vendor that responds first. [Source: InsideSales.com]
- If you follow up with web leads within 5 minutes, you’re 9 times more likely to convert them. [Source: InsideSales.com]
- Firms that tried to contact potential customers within an hour of receiving a query were nearly 7 times as likely to qualify the lead as those that tried to contact the customer even 1 hour later—and more than 60 times as likely as companies that waited 24 hours or longer. [Source: Harvard Business Review]
Filipinos abroad normally use messenger apps like Viber, Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger. These are also ways to connect and have a call. However, there is nothing like calling their phones to quickly establish rapport and qualify.
This is why we have started providing our customers with calling solutions with much better rates than using long-distance.
4. Visit them
Some of the sales teams we work with that have the best quota performance are those which do roadshows abroad. Their companies invest a lot for this trips because they clearly see the ROI from the sales.
Leadfunnel helps these teams by providing them leads in their roadshow locations months before their trip. This ensures that they spend their precious time overseas closing, rather then looking for leads.
5. Play the long game. Important: plan for their visit to the Philippines.
Filipinos abroad visit the Philippines every few years. Many of them delay their purchase decision until their next visit. By using a CRM or a calendar, sales professionals could maximize their results and commissions by playing the long game. Sales managers could hit their team goals with the patience and perseverance of nurturing leads until the right time comes to close them.